23 August 2009

It's not midnight yet.

So, we'll start my back blogging with the story of how TJ proposed to me.

We drove to Elizabeth Park, after having a nice meal, went to the gazebo, he asked me to marry him, I said yes, the people watching clapped, and we drove home.

The end.

Oh, you want real details? Fiiine.

So, it was July 3, 2009. TJ and I had been talking about marriage for awhile, so I knew it was coming ... eventually. I didn't even know he had a ring, or talked to my parents. Throughout the day, he sent me texts about our "special evening" and wouldn't tell me what was going on. Now, a normal person would have figured it out, but I'm not exactly normal. Well, I had to work that day so after work, he picked me up and brought me to my house so I could change my clothes and we could go to dinner. While I was changing, he was downstairs talking to my parents telling them that was it was the night and that he was really nervous. (Aww.) So, we finally left my house and we were driving to Avon to go to 99 for dinner. Now, 99 is a special place for us - that is where we went the first time we met. Our mutual friend Shelly decided that we needed to be friends and arranged for us to get together. Anyway, I was happily eating my dinner (steak wrap thingys) and he was fussing over his meal which he never ate. (He was too nervous to eat, apparently. Another clue I should have gotten. Oops.) After I finished, we left and started driving to Hartford. That's when I kind of had an idea that something was going to happen. So, we went to Elizabeth Park - a beautiful garden that is also a special place for us - it was one of our first dates. We strolled along, hand in hand, looking at the beautiful flowers around us, just as we did earlier in our relationship. While we were walking to the gazebo, TJ put on a beautiful song from Druid - an Irish singing group that we went to see before we started dating. Well, we had a few technical difficulties and I spent a good five minutes laughing while TJ tried to get his iPhone working properly. Also, as we walked to the gazebo, there was mud EVERYWHERE! I ended up getting stuck in it and mud went flying. TJ asked me if I was intentionally stepping in it, and I was NOT. We were so muddy after that. Well, after what seemed like forever, we finally arrived at the gazebo and TJ told me how much he loved and how he had a conversation with my dad and I almost started to cry. Then, he sang me a cute song that he wrote and then, he did it. He got on one knee and asked me to marry him. I said yes.

So, there we have it. I'm getting married on April 24, 2010 to my best friend. We are having a very small ceremony and reception, so as much as I'd love to invite everyone that I know, we just can't afford it. I'm not going to lie, it makes me sad that I can't invite all of my friends to my reception, but that's the way it has to be.

Maybe we'll have a huge celebration for our tenth anniversary and then everyone is invited!

6 comments:

Hobbes said...

That is definitely one of the best proposal stories I've ever heard, mud and all! Kudos to TJ! He's a lucky man.

Marné said...

That was a great story. Thanks for sharing it. And don't worry about the reception, it's a party whenever you're around anyway.

Matt "Hacksaw" said...

That is so awesome Jen! Congrats to both of you. The important thing is that you're getting married, I'm happy just knowing that you guys are happy.

ajKRAUSEfamily said...

ah, finally the whole story. Precious! I especially like the part where you got all muddy. Congratulations again and again and again!

Emily said...

Hey. I miss you. How are you?

How are your wedding plans going? What have you and TJ been up to? Where are you working?

How's your cat? Jeff and I got another kitty this week (BJ & Tianna's, and you would LOVE her.)

Remember that Christmas where we both worked at DB? Sometimes I think about that. I start wanting to read EVERY church book there is.

Anyway. I love you! Please update. Or maybe I should just call you sometime.

Emily

Tyler Pulsipher said...

Hey Crongrats! I didn't even know you were back in Conn that's how great a friend I really am. If TJ took you to Cooperstown and Doubleday he must be a great guy. Crongratulations and good luck with everything!