09 December 2008

Catching up #1



So I've been a fan of the University of Connecticut's basketball teams since I was about twelve. Everyone in my town is. Seriously, EVERYONE loves UConn basketball. In fact, I remember watching the Big East championship in my eight grade English class because our teacher thought that watching the game was more important than learning about our family history. Or something.

In fact, one of the reasons I went to church the first time was because Travis Knight was a star on the UConn men's team when I was younger (and went on the Celtics and the Lakers and the Knicks) and I loved him. And he is LDS. And if he's LDS then maybe there's something to look into.

Anyway, back in November I went to my first ever college football game and it was awesome. And, if you can believe it, the announcer guy said that the UConn women's basketball team was coming to Provo to play the Cougars and it was only going to be $1 to watch the game if you weren't a student. $1!!!! That's crazy. So, as soon as I heard the announcement I sent some texts to see if anyone wanted to go to the game with me because, hi, it's UConn and they are #1 in the country. (Always. Or at least #3.) So, I invited everyone that I could to come to the game and then found someone to work my shift at work for me because this game was so important to me and then waited. Patiently. For a week. (Longest week of my life!)

Well, game day came and it turned out that the only person that wanted to go to the game was my roommate Nikki. So, we got to the Marriott Center and looked around for the perfect place to sit and then we saw them. Them. UConn fans. I ran over to them (as uncreepily as possible!) and we all talked for a bit. (There were about 10 of them in my section.) Most of them were even from my part of the state, so that was cool. Oh, cool part! The couple a row in front of us needed to go find food so they asked us to watch their stuff for them because they had to go and of course we agreed (Huskies stick together!!) and when they came back they brought us a tub of popcorn for our efforts. Nikki and I said thank you a billion times and then enjoyed our snacks.

Anyway, the game started and as expected we kicked some Cougar booty - 96-47. The Cougs did play well in the first half - in fact they were in the lead for like two minutes and I actually wondered if maybe BYU could pull out a victory. The couldn't.
Anyway, the first half they played their A-game, but the second half they just looked too tired to play and only scored 18 points. My mom watched the game and said that she enjoyed it as well.
In all, it was the perfect night. In CT it's pratically impossible to get in the second row of a UConn game so the pictures that I took are pretty cool for me. I've never been this close to Geno Auriemma or Jemelle Elliott (my favorite player of all time) and I probably never will be again.

Thanks BYU for allowing UConn to come to Provo. I'll never forget it.



Ok, if you look closely, you can see a guy in the middle of the picture dunking a ball. Off a trampoline. He was amazing - his whole team, actually.

Look how close we were!!!!!

0 comments: