The day after our wedding TJ and I drove to Gloucester, Virginia to begin our honeymoon. I'd probably put up pictures here if I had any. But, really, who wants to see pictures of the Jersey Turnpike?
On Monday, TJ and I wanted to explore Yorktown, Virginia. Yorktown is where George Washington surprise attacked General Cornwalis during the Revolutionary War and, in effect, ended the Revolutionary War.
Here are some of our favorite parts of Yorktown.
1. The Coleman Bridge. Oh my heavens, I loved this bridge and was very happy every time we crossed it. (Which was like twice a day for a week.) The reason we will put it part of our Day 1 Blog, is because of the fun things that it did for us the day we visited Yorktown.
This is a Navy battleship going under the opened bridge. Do you see how it opened up? Yup, that's right. The bridge opened up horizontally, not vertically for the ship to pass through.
And yes, we made plenty of piece of ship jokes every time we passed through, we're just that mature.
2. We loved the Poor Potter's archeological site. Here is some information about it. We loved learning about the kiln and seeing how they fired pots in the 18th century.Here are a few pictures:
This is the reconstruction of what they think the pottery factory looked like in the 18th century.
This is exactly what they found when the unearthed the building. Cool!
3. We loved the Liberty Monument, too. Here is what the U.S National Service says about the monument.
The Yorktown Monument to "The Alliance and Victory" was the first monument authorized by the Federal Government. It was authorized on October 29, 1781, just ten days after the victory at Yorktown. However, construction on the monument did not begin until 1881. It was completed in 1884.I loved the beauty surrounding the monument. It is on a hill so you can see it whenever you pass over my favorite bridge and when visiting the monument you see the river below. It's beautiful.
Well, I think that's it for now. Tune in for the rest our honeymoon adventures in the next few weeks.


0 comments:
Post a Comment