26 January 2009

Awkward Dating Stories #2

This story is awkward on so many levels.

  1. It was a blind date
  2. that the second counselor in my bishopric set me up on.
  3. that was with a guy that just got off his mission.
  4. that lived with his parents.
  5. that was 2 years younger than me. (I was 23.)
(Ok, numbers four and five aren't that awkward by themselves.)

Well, it all started a few weeks earlier. Brother I-Don't-Remember called me into his office and asked how I was doing, etc. He extended a calling to me and I accepted, no problem, and then he said the most awkward thing anyone could possibly say: "I work with this guy at BYU and I think you'd be perfect together."

Gulp.

I gave him my phone number and told him to tell blind date boy to call me and we'd set it up. He called. I didn't answer the first time. I was busy or something.

Meanwhile, my roommates were having a girls night out where they were doing girly things and I wasn't invited because I had a date that night. (Or something. Details are foggy.)

Anyway, we went out to dinner. Olive Garden. (Best part of the date, for sure.) Then, we drove around for awhile trying to decide what to do for the evening. Finally, he suggested that we go back to his house to play games. With his parents.

I know. I know. I said yes. I figured anything was better than struggling for coversation in an ugly car.

We played games. I became quite good friends with his aunt or something and I'm pretty sure I talked to her more than him. (It's been a long time. Details are fuzzy, remember.) So, finally, my boredom was unbearable (we played every stupid board game created) and I told him that it was time to go home. So, he drove the long way from Springville or Spanish Fork or...somewhere and we struggled, again, for something to talk about and then we arrived at my apartment. I invited him inside because it was cold outside and he came in to see 4 or 5 girls in my living room staring at him and I'm pretty sure he was embarrassed because he hightailed it out of there, never to be seen again.

Sadly enough, I never really missed him.

2 comments:

Matt "Hacksaw" said...

Awkward is a universal language, and we all speak it. Well.

Chillygator said...

Love it. I went on a date with a boy where we played games with his parents. I loved his mom, we totally bonded. Loved her just as much as we went to a play with her on our next date (yep, him, me and his mom). Then when he invited me to his house for a Saturday breakfast with his parents I decided I didn't like his mom THAT much.

Also, I LOVE your blog background. It's so pretty.