03 June 2005

Caroline said it best today:

Not everything in life works out the way that you want it to. Relationships come to an end, jobs come and go until you find your niche in a career, and sometimes you might find yourself with not as much money as you'd like to have. But never worry, b/c everyone gets their "ray of hope" or they finally see the "end of the rainbow."

I've been feeling kind of 'out' of it, lately. I've had a rough time meeting new people, finding a decent job, keeping my testimony where it was a year ago, and just being happy ever since I've been home. It's been rough, but I usually put on a happy face and just fake it for my friends. I don't want them to know that I'm pretty dang depressed most of the time, so I hide it. I'm good at that. I think I've forgotten that this isn't the end. I do have a purpose for being here, even if everything isn't going the way I like, even if I do want to be back with my friends and back in school where my life wasn't as hard as it is now. But then, as I whine to myself I think, “Hey, loser! Stop whining and just do something about it!” So I’m trying to. There is that “ray of hope” or “end of the rainbow” that I’ll eventually find.

I keep hearing people say that if you aren’t happy with your life as a single person, you won’t be happy with your life as a married person and I believe that to be true. I also think that if I can’t find some joy in my life right now, then it’ll be so much harder to find that joy later on when things are actually going the way I'd like. I think being happy is a choice. I can choose to let things bother me and be lonely or I can see the upside to things.

There is a “silver lining” to “every cloud”, I just need to find it.

*Please excuse any cheesiness or clichés that you may read in this post. I’m in that kind of mood…

5 comments:

N.F. said...

I've heard the same thing, that if I'm not happy now, then I'm not going to be happy when I'm married. But, I think that I will be happ(ier) when I'm married b/c I won't be lonely anymore! Soo glad I found your blog!

Laulau said...

Happiness is relative.

Berkeley G. said...

People have always told me the same thing, and I think I agree with that more and more all the time. I don't think it solely applies to romantic relationships, though. I've found that if I'm not happy alone, not only can I not be happy dating/marrying someone, but I also can't be happy in friendships. A friend also told me the other day, "you're only as happy as you allow yourself to be," and that is something I'm not sure about yet. To me, circumstances and situations also affect how happy a person generally is.

Caroline said...

Yis! I found your blog Jen! I'm so happy. And I feel so honored that you used an excerpt from my blog. :-) Don't worry Jen, everything will workout for us b/c we are great girls and we deserve it!

Katie said...

(I have to preface this by telling you that I am probably one of the most guarded people ever. It is really hard for me to show other people that I'm upset and not perfect.)

Great friends are those who still love you when you let down your happy face. In fact, I've built much stronger friendships by crying on someone's shoulder than by laughing at their jokes. You get to see someone's true humanity when they are sad.

This sounds really cheesy, but I thought it would be alright, since you already started out with the cliches. (wink)