25 October 2005

Words to live by:

"The most basic and powerful way to connect to another person is to listen. Just listen. Perhaps the most important thing we ever give each other is our attention. A loving silence often has far more power to heal and to connect than the most well-intentioned words." ~Unknown.

I think I did just figure out a big part of my problem out here: I don't think that I can actually talk to anyone. I mean, honestly no one will just listen to me without offering copious amounts of advice that isn't appropriate and/or just plain wrong. I don't really give a crap why you think that half of the people in the stake hate me. Don't give me a list of ways to change who I am. Just listen to me for a change and then you'll understand that maybe I just need to get feelings out, just like everyone else. I'm always such a good listener for everyone else. I sit there, keep my opinions to myself (well, with everyone except Jen Allen), and listen while you go on and on about your issues. Fine! I'm ok with that, but every once in awhile, I'd like to get my point out across, too. Rahrr!

See? That felt good...

4 comments:

azurerocket said...

I hear you. Last time my visiting teachers came they spent the whole time talking to each other about a subject that pains me to hear. I hate my ward and just have to keep telling myself that there is a huge separation between church doctrine and people in the church. Hang in there!

Caroline said...

Wait, was Jen Allen a Residence Life person at SJC?? That name just sounds way too familiar! Jen, I don't understand WHY ANYONE would hate you!!! You're kind, your very funny,you're a good friend, and yes, you are a good listener!! You've listened to me for the past 6 years!! I love you and those people who don't like you can take a long walk off a short pier! The next time you want to get your point across, just be like HEY I have something to say and just say it. Who cares what anyone else thinks.

Rahhr on. Hehe. :-)

Caroline said...

You're welcome. Sorry about the Jenn Allen mix-up, hehe. :-)

Laulau said...

I'm not in your stake, but I definately don't hate you. In fact, I think you're cool.