23 November 2010

30 Days of Gratitude - Day 23 - Eyes

Today, I am grateful for my eyes.

(I know, you are thinking, "What's with all the body parts lately?!")

I am grateful for my eyes because, well, by themselves, they are terrible. Awful. No good. Very bad. (No, I'm not moving to Australia!) But, with correction, they are great. Wonderful. SO good.

When I was born, my eyes weren't developed enough and I had to have surgery when I was very little. One eye was corrected properly and the second, although the doctor said he fixed it, he didn't even touch it. So I was left with one good eye and one terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible eye that has never worked properly. After years of only using one eye, I finally met an ophthalmologist that provided me the proper prescription and I've been seeing like a champ! With both eyes! (Never at the same time, though.)

Then, today, I went to the ophthalmologist's and receive the holy grail of eye wear - contacts. For years (and years and years) I was told that I couldn't wear glasses for this reason or that and I guess technology finally caught up with my bad eye and I am currently wearing my very first pair of (trial) contacts. WOOHOO!

So, here's what I like:

I can see. Out of both eyes. For the first time ever.

Here's what I don't like:

Putting them in. I'm still learning. Getting them out. It's hard. (It does get easier, right?)

So, yes. Today, I am grateful that I have eyes to see.

0 comments: